Why does everyone over-complicate oatmeal? It is one of the world’s most simple and easy options for breakfast, plus it can be a healthy, filling option, too! So, here is my super-easy to make Stovetop Blueberry Oatmeal!
So first off, here is what you will need!
- A pot with a lid (mine is nearly antique. I inherited from our first home we bought – it was in the shed in a box! And for some reason, it is my favorite to make oatmeal in!)
- 1 cup water
- Salt (just a sprinkle)
- 1 cup rolled oats (I actually use a rounded scoopful. I buy my oats in bulk from http://www.azurestandard.com then split it up in separate gallon-sized freezer bags and store in the freezer to keep it fresh and to keep bugs out. These happen to be certified organic.)
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey (this is from my Brother-in-law’s beehives)
- Cinnamon (I never measure it, just sprinkle to taste, but probably around a teaspoon)
- Blueberries (fresh or frozen) – we actually have a great blueberry farm nearby where we go pick each year and put up loads of blueberries. Today I was trying to use up some of last year’s frozen berries!
Okay, so that’s all you need to make this! Let’s get started!
Turn the heat off and remove your oatmeal from heat.
Add in your frozen blueberries now. This is however many berries you want to add. I probably added around 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup today, but sometimes I do less. Immediately cover pot with a lid, if you are using frozen blueberries as I was.
Total cooking time is only 10-15 minutes from start to finish! No need to buy instant oats when these are healthier and just as fast!